(Map reference SO 729997)
Guide to Stockton Church. Click here to download a copy (Word Document 70Kbs). This includes information not found on this website.
There is one small piece of evidence that there was a church at Stockton
in Norman times and that is a window in the chancel.
Stockton, like Higford which is in the same parish, was much more important in former times than it is now. There is reference to Stockton in the Doomsday Book, and even within
living memory, there were more dwellings at Stockton than there are now. Today there are
only three dwellings at Stockton - one of which is the Glebe House, and another the red
brick Georgian rectory dated 1702,now owned by Lord Hamilton, owner of Apley Estate,
and patron of Stockton parish.
The church stands high above the river Severn, about half a mile from the main centre of population which it serves - the village of Norton which can be seen to the west of the church from the churchyard. The whole parish is part of the Apley Estate, one of the few agricultural estates to survive the 19th century agricultural depression intact. Much of the land in this part of Shropshire is still owned by the Estate.
The church building was restored in 1880, when the chancel was raised several
feet, as can be seen from the level of the piscina and sedelia in the sanctuary. The leper
window has been bricked up at some time. The church has a fine and unusual barrel roof
(visible from the nave). There is a fourteenth century font and the tower is fifteenth
century. The communion table is Elizabethan and the pulpit Jacobean.
To see larger versions of the pictures above click below:
Church Exterior (32kb)
Church Exterior (25kb)
Church Interior (23kb)
Map of Stockton Area:
To view a map of the area in a separate window please click here.
The services for each week can now be found in the monthly newsletter. See the information page. |